Cornell Shuts Out St. Lawrence 1-0

By Justin Horowitz

July 22, 2010 Updated Dec 7, 2008 at 12:49 AM EDT

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Colin Greening's second-period power-play goal stood up as the game-winner as the Cornell men's hockey team knocked off St. Lawrence, 1-0, on Saturday night at Lynah Rink. Goaltender Ben Scrivens made 25 saves, including 14 in the third period, to post his third shutout of the season.

Cornell (7-1-2, 6-0-2 ECAC Hockey) remained unbeaten in ECAC Hockey, marking the first time since the 1969-70 undefeated, untied national championship team that the Big Red has gone its first eight league games without a defeat. Cornell last went seven league games without a loss in 2003-04, also opening that season 5-0-2 in league play before suffering a defeat in its eighth game, a 2-1 overtime loss at Brown.

Greening's game-winner came at the 4:34 mark as the Big Red wasted no time in capitalizing on a mental miscue by the Saints' Mike McKenzie. Following a whistle for a faceoff in the St. Lawrence end, McKenzie took a whack at a Cornell player just steps away from referee Dan Murphy, who immediately called the slash. Just eight seconds later, the Big Red made the Saints pay. Blake Gallagher sent a puck from the blue line to Riley Nash on the goal line to the right of goaltender Alex Petizian. Nash then laced a pass across the goal mouth to Greening, who was positioned alone on the back post for the easy tap-in.

That would be the only scoring the Big Red needed, as Cornell went 1-for-4 on the power play on the night. St. Lawrence (6-8-1, 2-5-1 ECAC Hockey) went 0-for-6 with the man advantage, including roughly 30 seconds of a 5-on-3 late in the third period that also saw Saints coach Joe Marsh pull Petizian for the extra skater, but St. Lawrence could not solve the Cornell defense. The Saints put 14 shots on the Cornell goal in the third period and had another 11 attempts blocked by Cornell defenders, but the Big Red held on for the 1-0 lead.

Petizian stopped 27 of the 28 shots he faced on the night, including making 14 saves in the first period as Cornell came out buzzing in the offensive end.

Cornell now is on a three-week hiatus for fall exams, returning to action on Dec. 28, in the first round of the Florida College Classic in Estero, Fla. The Big Red will take on the WCHA's St. Cloud State for the first time in program history in a 7:35 p.m. start.

Courtesy: Cornell University Sports Information

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.