Bearcats Struggle Shooting

By Brendan O'Reilly

July 22, 2010 Updated Jan 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM EDT

Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton)

Visiting Maine (9-6, 1-1 AE) made just one field goal in overtime but converted 11-of-14 free throws to outlast cold-shooting Binghamton (6-11, 1-1 AE) 66-61 Sunday afternoon from the Events Center. It was the Black Bears' first win in seven tries at the Events Center.

Maine snapped a 57-57 tie with 1:58 remaining in the overtime session with a 6-0 run - all from the free throw line. The Bearcats meanwhile, misfired on 7-of-11 shots in the extra session, including five in a row and all six three-point attempts. Maine guard Terrance Mitchell scored 12 of his team's 13 points in overtime and wound up with a game-high 22 points.

Binghamton had a chance to win the game in regulation with the final shot and nine seconds on the clock. But a rushed three-point attempt by junior forward Mahamoud Jabbi was well off with three seconds to play.

The Bearcats struggled offensively all afternoon, with only junior forward Moussa Camara having success from the outside. Camara hit 6-of-12, including 4-of-7 three-pointers, for a team-high 18 points. But the rest of the team shot 14-for-49 (28%), including a dismal 2-for-28 from beyond the arc.

Maine also was cold, shooting just 29% for the game, including 2-for-21 from three-point range.

Junior forward Greer Wright collected 13 points and 12 rebounds but fouled out at the end of regulation, leaving BU even more limited on offense for the extra period. Jabbi added six points, 11 rebounds, five blocks and three steals in 42 minutes. Junior guard Chretien Lukusa chipped in 10 points.

"Maine came in here and had a game plan - and we settled for three-point shots and didn't attack the basket," Mark Macon said. "It was an ugly game. We have to come out next game and play harder and smarter."

The Bearcats opened the game strong, leading 16-6 with 9:47 to play in the first half. But then BU settled for perimeter shots and the offense stalled to the tune of no field goals in 8:03. The Black Bears closed out the half with a 15-4 run to lead 21-20.

Neither team led by more than four points in the second half but the Bearcats led 53-50 with 1:24 left in regulation. But an inside layup by Troy Barnies brought Maine to within one, 53-52, with 0:52 left. Then Wright was whistled for a critical charge call with 22 seconds left, and another Wright foul sent Sean McNally to the free throw line with nine seconds left. McNally made 1-of-2 to tie the game.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.