Bearcats Rally Comes Up Short

By wbng sports

December 22, 2010 Updated Dec 22, 2010 at 12:57 AM EDT

Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton)

Binghamton (3-7) dug itself an 18-point hole and couldn't fully recover in losing to visiting St. Peter's (7-4) 61-56 Tuesday night from the Events Center.

Down 12 at intermission, BU held the Peacocks to six field goals and 20 points in the second half but struggled on its own offensive end (9-of-29, 31%) and saw its modest two-game win streak snapped.

The Bearcats, who led the first four minutes of the game but never again, nearly rallied for the third straight game in the closing minutes. Down 58-53 with 14 seconds remaining, senior forward Greer Wright made an off-balance three-pointer to cut the margin to two, 58-56. Binghamton sent St. Peter's guard Nick Leon to the line, where he made 1-of-2 with 12 seconds left, giving BU a chance to tie the game. Electing not to use a timeout, BU left it in the hands of Wright, whose heavily-contested three bid from the wing was short of the rim with four seconds left. Darius Conley sank two free throws with 0:02 left to seal the win.

The Bearcats were hurt by four free throw misses in the second half, including the final one on a front-end of a 1-and-1 with 1:00 remaining. After climbing back into the game with defense, BU misfired on five of its final seven shots in the closing two minutes.

"We need to come out of the gates real aggressive and play 40 minutes," head coach Mark Macon said. "We needed to execute better in the first half. We need to put a full game together. We just couldn't finish it off ... it was too little, too late."

Wright tallied a game-high 18 points (11 in first half) but hit just 6-of-20 from the floor. Senior forward Moussa Camara netted 15 points (all in second half) in 24 minutes and senior forward Mahamoud Jabbi set a career-high with 14 rebounds.

The Peacocks put three players in double-figures, led by Wesley Jenkins' 14.

The Bearcats led 5-1 to start the game before St. Peter's exploded on a 24-3 run that spanned 8:18. The Peacocks hit five three-pointers during the run and BU went 1-for-8, committed four turnovers and were whistled for six fouls during the stretch. St. Peter's owned the glass as well, racking up a 21-11 rebound margin.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.