KIRKWOOD (WBNG) -- Broome County District Attorney Steve Cornwell, New York State Police, SIU and Johnson City Police Chief Brent Dodge on Wednesday announced details of a major weapons bust in Broome County, resulting in the arrest of one man and the seizure of numerous weapons.
"They did a great job of asking him very specific questions about the ammunition he had stolen and what weapons that may go to. He gave them some answers that were inconsistent with their in-depth knowledge of weapons which set off further red flags for them," said Johnson City Police Chief Brent Dodge.
In a news conference, authorities said Ramadan Abdullah, 64, has been charged the following:
- Four counts, criminal possession of a weapon, second degree, class C felony
- Criminal possession of a weapon, third degree, class D felony
- Criminal possession of stolen property, fifth degree, class A misdemeanor
Officials said that Abdullah was arrested by Johnson City police on May 31 for shoplifting ammunition from Gander Mountain. According to the Broome County District Attorney's Office, when a search warrant was executed on Abdullah's storage unit in the town of Union, the following items were recovered:
- Four loaded handguns
- Eight assault weapons
- 64 high-capacity ammunition feeding devices
- One loaded shotgun
- Two rifles
- Thousands of rounds of ammunition for rifles, pistols and assault weapons, including .50 caliber armor piercing incendiary rounds, numerous firearm parts and flak jackets.
According to the DA's office, search warrants were also executed at additional properties tied to Abdullah, resulting in the seizure of:
- Numerous rounds of .38 caliber ammunition
- High-capacity ammunition feeding devices and ammunition
- An additional loaded firearm
The New York State Police released the following specific information regarding the firearms.
- H&K USP Compact Pistol, .357 SIG caliber, semi-auto pistol, with laser (loaded)
- Browning Arms, 9mm caliber, semi-auto pistol w/laser (loaded)
- Browning Arms Company , .22 caliber semi-auto pistol (loaded)
- Glock Model 30, 45ACP caliber, semi-auto pistol w/laser (loaded)
- COP Inc, Four barrel pistol, 38 Special / 357 Magnum caliber (loaded)
- US Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer, .22 caliber, semi-auto rifle w/ Sightmark Holographic sight
- Steyr-Daimler-Puch A6 AUG, .223 caliber, semi-auto rifle w/sling and scope
- Kassnar Imports AK47, 7.62x39 caliber, semi-auto rifle w/folding stock
- Springfield Armory M1A, 7.62 caliber, desert camo colored, semi-auto rifle w/scope
- Armalite AR-180, 5.56 caliber, semi-auto rifle, w/sling
- Armalite AR-180, 5.56 caliber, semi-auto rifle, with folding stock, Armalite scope, and sling
- H&K SR9TC, 7.62x51 caliber, desert camo colored semi-auto rifle w/ Springfield Armory Scope
- Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S, 223/5.56 caliber, Semi-auto rifle, w/ leather sling
State Police would not reveal if they believe Abdullah was connected to any terror groups.
"That is still under investigation. We do believe he has left the country. We have information to indicate that. As far as his affiliation with other groups, that is being investigated, we do have cooperation with federal authorities on that," said NYSP Major James Barnes.
According to officials, Abdullah was sent to the Broome County Jail to wait for arraignment.