NANTICOKE (WBNG) -- The local chapter of the American Red Cross says it is assisting a family of two adults and 14 children displaced by a fire Monday morning.
Glen Aubrey Fire Company's chief told 12 News the report of the fire at 144 Swan Hill Road in Nanticoke came in around 7:15 a.m.
He said the fire started in the home's chimney and spread throughout the roof.
The fire chief said all of the residents were inside the house, but all made it out safely.
According to the Red Cross, "assistance typically includes vouchers for temporary housing, food and clothing as needed, and Disaster Mental Health volunteers are available to help with the emotional aspect of disaster. Those affected will meet with caseworkers in the coming days to work on a longer-term recovery plan."
The Glen Aubrey Fire Company announced the fire station will be open Tuesday and Wednesday for people to drop off donations for the family.
"They need the basic necessities, down to diapers, wipes, clothes," said Amanda Collyer, Auxiliary at Glen Aubrey Fire Station. In tragedies, I feel everyone needs to come together and help one another out because that's what we're here for."
The Glen Aubrey Fire Company was assisted by several fire departments including Whitney Point, Maine and Lisle. Broome County fire officials are investigating exactly what sparked the fire.
*This story has been corrected to reflect that two adults and 14 children were displaced by the fire.