10:15 A.M. UPDATE:
TIOGA (WBNG) -- Multiple fire departments continue to battle flames at a home in Tioga County.
According to the Tioga Center Fire Chief, firefighters were called to 143 Halsey Valley Road in Tioga around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday for reports of a chimney fire.
Fire Chief Arthur Mayer says the chimney fire spread to the back of the home.
Several fire departments worked to put out the flames and left the scene around 3:30 a.m., the chief says.
Authorities say the homeowner, who had been keeping an eye on the home, reported at 4:30 a.m. that the house was fully involved in flames.
"There may have been an ember some place that we missed, it's hard to say what set it back off like that," said Fire Chief Mayer. "It was surprised at how quickly it became involved."
Chief Mayer says a married couple lived in the home, which he described as an old farm house with heavy timbers. The couple made it out safely.
At 9 a.m. Thursday, he told 12 News firefighters would remain on the scene for at least a few more hours.
Fire departments from Tioga Center, Owego, Nichols, Halsey Valley and Waverly-Barton all assisted during the fire.
The Tioga Central School District announced a two-hour delay Thursday because of the fire.
TIOGA (WBNG) -- The Tioga Central School District announced a two-hour delay Thursday because of a fire on Halsey Valley Road.
Firefighters were called to at 143 Halsey Valley Road late Wednesday night.
A 12 News crew there said smoke could be seen from a distance away.
According to the Tioga Center Fire Department, firefighters returned Thursday morning after the fire rekindled. They remained at the scene as of 9 a.m. Thursday.
Authorities have not said what sparked the fire or if anyone was hurt.
Stay with 12 News for updates on this developing story.