Windsor, NY (WBNG Binghamton) A child playing with a lighter caused a fire in Windsor that displaced seven people.
Broome County Fire Investigators said the fire at 1075 Old State Route 17 was determined to have been started by a child playing with a lighter inside an apartment.
Firefighters were called to a two alarm fire at the multi-family home just before 10 a.m. Monday. The flames were knocked down by 11 a.m.
Tom Lias, an assistant chief with the Windsor Fire Department, said three of the four units inside were occupied when flames broke out in the "A" side of the building.
Windsor firefighters arrived first to find flames shooting out of a front window on the first floor of the building, according to Lias. Crews worked quickly to eliminate hazards nearby that could have made things a lot worse.
"Everybody did get out,” said Lias. “In an adjacent apartment we had some oxygen tanks we had to get out of the building. We disconnected the propane tanks and got them away."
Lias said tenants will not likely be able to return home. He said the Red Cross has already contacted the families to help.
Fire departments from West Windsor, Deposit, Oquaga, Harpursville, and Five Mile Point also assisted at the scene.