Fire Marshal: Child was playing with matches

By Chelsea Bishop

January 16, 2014 Updated Jan 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The Binghamton Fire Marshal's office determined the cause of a house fire on Pearne Street.

A child playing with matches started the fire in a bedroom, according to officials.

The apartment home at 34 Pearne St. caught fire around 5:50 a.m. Thursday.

When firefighters arrived, there were heavy flames coming out of two windows on the second floor, according to Larry Ostanek, Assistant Fire Chief.

Everyone was out of the apartment when crews arrived.

The upstairs apartment, where eight people lived, received significant damage.

"The second floor is pretty much destroyed," said Ostanek.

Ostanek said it appeared the fire started in a child's bedroom upstairs and the fire was contained to that room and the living room.

Two people also lived on the first floor which received water damage.

It took about 30 minutes to put out the flames.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.