B-Mets Get One For The Road

By wbng sports

May 5, 2011 Updated May 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton)

Brandon Moore turned in the longest outing of his career to lead the B-Mets to a 7-1 win over the Erie SeaWolves in the rubber match tonight at NYSEG Stadium.

The Binghamton right-hander was lights-out from the very beginning, retiring the first seven batters he faced before allowing a single to Francisco Martinez in the third inning.

Binghamton jumped all over Erie starter Mark Sorensen in the first inning, drawing first blood only three batters into their half of the frame. Jordany Valdespin led off by chopping the first pitch he saw over Rawley Bishop at first base for a double. Mike Fisher followed with a bunt single up the third base line and Josh Satin supplied a sacrifice fly to bring home Valdespin with the first run.

The next three batters would reach safely as Brahiam Maldonado lined a single to right, Eric Campbell singled home Fisher with a drive to center, and Allan Dykstra brought home the inning’s third run with a double to deep centerfield. Before Sorensen had even thrown 15 pitches, the B-Mets owned a 3-0 lead.

Given the early advantage, Moore was able to get the job done. He wiggled out of a jam in the fourth with an inning-ending double play and escaped another scare in the fifth by picking off Justin Henry.

The right-hander from Indiana was on cruise control from there, breezing through the sixth, seventh, and eighth by retiring nine in a row. He needed just 27 pitches in the process.

In the sixth, the B-Mets manufactured their fourth run. After Josh Satin led off with a double to right centerfield, he advanced to third on Maldonado’s sacrifice bunt, and came home on Eric Campbell’s sacrifice fly to center field.

A two-out rally in the seventh helped put the game out of reach. Lorenzo Scott kicked things off with a single to left centerfield. Jordany Valdespin capped off an eight-pitch at bat by shooting an infield single to Audy Ciriaco at short. Valdespin and Scott moved up additional base when Ciriaco’s throw to first skipped into the crowd.

With runners at second and third and the B-Mets already leading 4-0, Mike Fisher stepped to the plate and fell behind in the count. After fouling off a pitch to stay alive, he hammered an offering from Sorensen over the right field wall for his second homer of the season.

Owning a seven-run cushion, Moore took the mound in the ninth looking to nail down the first complete game shutout for Binghamton since Jenrry Mejia performed the feat on August 24, 2010.

Things got off on the wrong foot as Fisher could not corral a Jamie Johnson groundball to lead off the ninth. It skipped over his glove and into right field for a two-base error.

Moore bounced back to strike out Brandon Douglas, but his fate was sealed when he hit Ben Guez with a pitch, prompting Wally Backman to call the bullpen for Ricky Brooks.

Brooks could not nail down the shutout as he allowed an RBI double to Bishop on the first pitch he threw. The reliever rebounded to strike out Ciriaco and induced Holaday to bounce back to the mound to end the game.

Moore’s effort of eight and a third was the longest outing of his professional career. His previous high was eight innings in 2009 with Brooklyn. He earned his third win of the year, allowing one unearned run on five hits, while walking one and racking up five strike outs.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.