Cause of fire at North Street business (with photos)

By Matt Hicks
By Haley Burton


7 photos

March 5, 2013 Updated Mar 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM EDT

Town of Union, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Investigators say the fire in the garage at Precision Painting was started after a bucket with paint thinner was ignited by the furnace.

The call went out at approximately 7:30 p.m. for 2502 North St., where crews came upon a heavily involved fire. The fire started in the garage and spread up a stairwell to the second floor apartment. But the majority of the fire was under control within ten minutes.

"A bucket of paint thinner with brushes soaking in it was left out in the garage area from the business's operations yesterday (Monday) while they were doing some staining. The paint thinner was ignited by the furnace that was in the building," said Jeff Winchell, Broome Senior Fire Investigator and Fire Chief for the Endwell Fire Department.

Winchell said no one was injured. The tenant of the apartment in the building and her child were able to escape before fire crews arrived. Winchell said that the building is salvageable, but the garage sustained heavy damage.

Fire investigators cleared the scene around 11:45 Monday night.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.