Maine Rallies Past Bearcats

By WBNG News

October 8, 2012 Updated Oct 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM EDT

Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Visiting Maine scored three unanswered goals to upend Binghamton women’s soccer 3-1 Sunday afternoon from the Bearcats Sports Complex.

The Black Bears snapped a 1-1 tie with two goals in less than 12 minutes and kept Binghamton winless in conference play.

Senior forward Jamie Holliday had given BU a quick 1-0 lead just 1:20 into the contest. Classmate Sarah Furminger took a throw in down in the left corner, spun past her mark and dribbled along the endline toward goal. She then cut a pass back to the middle where Holliday drilled a 14-yard right-footer into the upper right corner. It was her second goal of the season and the assist gave Furminger her 12th point of the campaign.

The Bearcats had solid possession throughout the first half and both Furminger and Holliday had 1-on-1 opportunities with the keeper that could’ve extended BU’s lead. In the ninth minute, Furminger’s point-blank blast from the left side went right into the keeper’s hands and Holliday’s golden chance hit the side netting from the right side after a nice through ball from senior striker Kerry Sullivan midway through the period.

Maine scored the equalizer on a give-and-go down the left side in the 27th minute. Nikki Misener fed Eve L’Abbe in the middle and then accepted a through ball just inside the box, where she split a pair of BU defenders and cut a shot that eluded keeper Carrie Martin and found the far corner.

Knotted at 1-1 at the half, the two teams had barely broken a sweat in the second half when the Black Bears took a 2-1 lead. Just 2:50 into the period, Liis Emajoe took a ball behind the BU defense and sent a cross from the right that skipped past a teammate and BU defender. Camille Varin-Tremblay cleanly struck the ball from 14 yards and it sailed over the head of newly-inserted keeper Stephanie Speirs and caromed in off the crossbar.

In the 59th minute, Maine added an insurance goal after a Bearcats handball resulted in a dangerous free kick from 19 yards out on the left. Charlene Achille bent a hard shot around the wall, over Speirs’ head and off the crossbar. The rebound came straight down, where Nikki Misener outraced BU defenders to tap it in from the goalmouth.

“We didn’t give up very many chances today but the difference was they finished theirs,” head coach Sarah McClellan said. “Our energy level needed to be better in the second half. Now we have to get a result in each of our final three games to reach the playoffs.”

The Bearcats are off for a week before hosting reigning conference champion Boston University next Sunday afternoon on Homecoming Weekend.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.