Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) An electric blanket malfunction was to blame for a fire early Saturday that damaged a home, according to the fire marshal's office.
The Binghamton Fire Department responded to the fire around 10:40 a.m. at 30 Linden St.
According to Steve Faughnan, Assistant Fire Chief, it took 22 firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the fire.
A mother and her daughter were able to get out of the home safely. Two other children also live in the home, but they were not home at the time the fire broke out.
"It's my understanding that the daughter was in the shower," Faughnan said. "The mother grabbed her, put a towel around her and brought her out the door and they got out just in time."
Faughnan said the first floor of the house has extensive damage from the fire and the top floor has some damage, mostly caused by smoke and water.