Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Binghamton parents called on their Board of Education Thursday evening for answers after being told where and how their children will be going to school -- just 10 days away from the first day of class.
Parents and guardians of Calvin Coolidge Elementary students filled the room at Columbus School.
Coolidge l is closed after cancer-causing asbestos was found in the basement in the middle of last month.
Now, kindergarten through 5th-grade students will be spread among four district buildings.
Binghamton mother of two, Casey O'Dell, says the relocation changes how her kindergarten daughter will adapt to elementary school.
"Our son is going to be coming to Columbus and our daughter is going to be going to Roosevelt," O'Dell said. "We really wanted them to be together in school and start together."
Parents are concerned about the existing asbestos in Coolidge, how their children will get to school and where they will be going to school.
"I don't feel the issue of what are we going to do in the future to prevent asbestos has been answered," said Binghamton mom Dawn Hoover.
Hoover's daughter, Trinity, will be going into 5th grade, now at East Middle School.
She said she's concerned about future asbestos disturbances because of the age of Coolidge and the likely use of the substance as insulation elsewhere in the school.
"Until I have a more concrete answer from the school board on what their plan is to prevent asbestos, I think I'll constantly worry about Trinity returning to Coolidge," O'Dell said.
An updated bus schedule was handed out at the meeting.
The first day of school is Sept. 4.
For more information about the relocation of students or to find the bus schedule, click here.