Gas leak at Midtown Mall building

By Candace Chapman

November 14, 2013 Updated Nov 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM EDT

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Binghamton firefighters and New York State Electric and Gas responded to a natural gas leak at the Midtown Mall building.

The building at 83 Court Street was heavily damaged by a fire in 2010. Developers are working to turn it into student apartments with retail space.

According to NYSEG, a contractor was removing pipes from the building using a plasma torch. The contractor cut on the NYSEG side of a valved-off service line. The torch ignited gas but the fire was contained to the end of the service pipe.

A NYSEG crew shut off the service pipe at the street shutoff valve.

NYSEG received the call at 11:22 a.m. and was able to respond a minute later because it already had a crew working at nearby building downtown. The area was declared safe at 12:17 p.m.

As a precaution, the city evacuated buildings along Court Street from Chenango Street to State Street. The same area was closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic during the response.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.