Seawolves silence Bearcats

By wbng sports

October 20, 2013 Updated Oct 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM EDT

Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Visiting Stony Brook scored on two set pieces and despite managing just six shots, came away with a 2-0 win over Binghamton in an America East women’s soccer game Sunday afternoon at the Bearcats Sports Complex.

It was the second straight 2-0 loss for the Bearcats, who now likely need wins in their final two regular season games to advance to the America East tournament.

“I thought we deserved better today,” head coach Sarah McClellan said. “We played attractive soccer, moved the ball quickly and got a lot of players into the attack. But credit Stony Brook ... they finished their chances and that was the difference. I was very pleased with the our performance though. If we can sharpen our focus in a few areas, we should be in the hunt for the postseason.”

The Bearcats took control from the opening whistle but couldn’t convert several quality scoring chances in the first half. Binghamton had four shots and five corner kicks in the opening frame but it was Stony Brook that cashed on with a late goal in the 40th minute. After a BU defender was called on a shove in the middle of the field, Seawolves defender Stella Norman sent a 32-yard free kick over BU’s wall and the outstretched hands of keeper Gaby Gold. The shot banked down off the crossbar and over the goal line.

In the second half, BU put 10 shots toward the net but again it was Stony Brook that converted - this time in the 69th minute off a corner kick. Norman sent a ball into the box, where it was headed home by Larissa Nysch.

Binghamton had a 14-6 shots advantage.

Early in the second half, BU had a flurry of chances to even the score. Senior forward Conor O’Brien took a feed from sophomore linemate Stephani Church and raced in on the left. O’Brien’s low shot was blocked by Stony Brook keeper Ashley Castanio. The rebound came out to sophomore midfielder Katherine Corcoran, whose blast was blocked by a defender. That rebound came out to junior midfielder Emily Nuss, who ripped a shot that just went high over the bar.

O’Brien had another good scoring chance with just over 11 minutes remaining when she found herself in alone on the left. Her shot from a tight angle was saved. Less than two minutes later, freshman back Allison Mack delivered a header off a free kick that just went wide. Church also had two good scoring opportunities in the final six minutes but both shots went wide right.

Gold made her first start of the season and turned aside two shots.

Binghamton travels to UMass Lowell for a Thursday night game against the winless River Hawks. Then BU returns home for a do-or-die game against sixth-place Vermont on Sunday.

To submit a comment on this article, your email address is required. We respect your privacy and your email will not be visible to others nor will it be added to any email lists.