Symmetrical mowing pattern in front of “The Castle” at the top of Robinson Street in Binghamton. Called “The Castle” after the Castellated Gothic design of its architect, Isaac Perry, the towers and turrets were cut back to the roof line in 1954 due to safety concerns and repair costs. Originally established in 1858 as the New York State Inebriate Asylum, and now on the National Register of Historic Places as such, it was later the Main Building of the Binghamton State Hospital/Psychiatric Center, and is currently the property of the SUNY Upstate Medical University which plans to renovate the building into classroom and office space for their Clinical Campus and restore the towers to the top of the building (if only they had the money).
The Castle Building Lives
This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options: