The Castle at the top of Robinson Street

The Castle Building Lives

Symmetrical mowing pattern in front of “The Castle” at the top of Robinson Street in Binghamton. Called “The Castle” after the Castellated Gothic design of its architect, Isaac Perry, the towers and turrets were cut back to the roof line in 1954 due to safety concerns and repair costs. Originally established in 1858 as the New York State Inebriate Asylum, and now on the National Register of Historic Places as such, it was later the Main Building of the Binghamton State Hospital/Psychiatric Center, and is currently the property of the SUNY Upstate Medical University which plans to renovate the building into classroom and office space for their Clinical Campus and restore the towers to the top of the building (if only they had the money).

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

Add a comment


Comment: 250 Characters Left

WBNG and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.