East Guilford Trestle

All Aboard for O&W RR Presentation 2/13

All Aboard Historians and Railroad Buffs
As well as those with a general interest in railroad history. On February 13th at 12:00 noon, the Guilford Historical Society presents The O&W New Berlin Junction with special guest speaker John Taibi. The social will be held at the Guilford Methodist Church and Mr. Taibi will make the presentation at 1:00 p.m.
One can still hear the rumbling and the wooo-wooo of the whistle as the train crosses the trestle over Guilford Creek. The engine then slowing and pulling into the New Berlin Junction Depot at East Guilford. We have our tickets and are ready to board to hit the rails for Mt. Upton. Join the Guilford Historical Society and you will be taken back to that time period when railroading was at it’s peak.
Ontario & Western Railway Historical Society member and trustee, John Taibi will be displaying photographs utilizing a power point presentation and discussing the operations of the O&W in the Town of Guilford. Until March 29, 1957, the O&W operated through the town from East Guilford (New Berlin Junction) through Guilford Center (Parkers) and Guilford on its route to Summit which is the divide between the Chenango and Unadilla valley watersheds. Until 1940, the O&W also operated a branch line from East Guilford to New Berlin and Edmeston that ran through the Town of Guilford communities of Rockdale, Mt. Upton, and Rockwells Mills. This section of the railroad was sold to the Unadilla Valley Railway. They operated the line until approximately 1960.This is the topic of this years presentation.
Mr. Taibi is the author of 5 books on the New York, Ontario & Western Railway and has currently published an additional book on the Old & Weary. “Remembering the New York and Ontario Railway” has been published by Purple Mountain Press and provides an extensive history of the railroad and the people that worked on it. He has a total of 9 books published on railroading. He owns and restored the O&W station at Munnsville. He has traveled throughout the U.S. photographing trains and the railroad scene. He published “The Lensmen, A Portfolio for Railroad Photography”. Married with two grown children and two grandchildren he is also the curator of the Franklin Railroad & Community Museum in Franklin, NY.
Join us for a light lunch and a great program, highlighting the days of the rail in the Township of Guilford.

This story is inappropriate and should be flagged for moderation. Please choose from one of the following options:

You have indicated this comment should be removed.

Close

The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

Larry H. says ... on Monday, Feb 1 at 6:35 PM

Nice to see thst someone is keeping this legacy alive. I live approx..1500 ft. from this bridge site in East Guilford and it make sad that every few years some of the relics disappear. The only thing left of the bridge is the concrete pylons.

36791177
Inappropriate? Alert Us!

Add a comment

Name:

Comment: 250 Characters Left

WBNG and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.