Wild Weather Contest Rules
Common Terms Used in These Rules:
These are the official rules that govern how the YouNews® Wild Weather National Contest will operate. This promotion will simply be referred to as the “Contest” throughout the rest of these rules. Additional rules may apply. See Section 13.
In these rules, “we” “our” and “us” refer only to Broadcast Interactive Media, L.L.C., a sponsor of this Contest. Additional sponsors of the Contest include the owners of the site on which these rules appear (for example, a local TV station, a local radio station, or a newspaper), and such additional sponsors as those site owners may disclose. “You,” “yourself,” “I,” “me,” and “my” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
But submitting an entry, you agree to these rules.
1. Contest Description
This is a skill-based Contest.
The object of this Contest is to create an original digital photo or original digital video that best illustrates the theme “wild weather.”
For purposes of this Contest, each photo or video you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” Entry eligibility will be determined using the criteria in paragraph 4. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria in paragraph 7.
2. What are the start and end dates?
This Contest starts at NOON EST on February 21, 2011. Valid entries will be accepted until 5:00 PM EST on March 14, 2011.
This will be referred to as the Entry Period throughout the rest of these rules. Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible. Any submission received outside of those dates will be disqualified.
Entries selected as finalists will be posted on the Contest web sites. Public voting will run from NOON EST on March 16, 2011 and conclude at NOON EST on March 23, 2011.
3. Can you enter?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements:
- You are a legal resident of the 50 Untied States (including the District of Columbia and Guam), and you are at least thirteen (13) years of age as of February 21, 2011; and
- You are NOT an employee of a sponsor of this Contest, or any of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions and/or advertising and promotion agencies or their immediate family or household members; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration or execution of this Contest.
If you are a minor, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry in this Contest. This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
4. What constitutes an eligible entry?
To be eligible, an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- You must submit your entry via the YouNews® portal; and
- Your entry must be your own original work; and
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- Your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos names or images without their express consent.
5. How will my entry be potentially used?
By submitting your entry, you
- understand and acknowledge that we may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry; and
- Understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; and
- Understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Contest rules.
Please note that following the end of this Contest, your entry may be posted on one or more websites selected by us for viewing by visitors to those website(s). We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to those websites. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights for your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
6. How do you submit your entry?
To submit your entry, submit your entry via the YouNews® portal.
There is no limit to the number of submissions per person or per household.
In the event the same content is submitted by more than one entrant, only the first entry received will qualify.
7. How will entries be judged?
A panel of YouNews® editors will review all eligible entries received and select 15 entries as finalists, based on creativity, originality and design.
The decisions of the YouNews® editors are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer finalists.
Entries selected as finalists will be posted on the Contest web sites. Online voting will run from NOON EST on March 16, 2011 and conclude at NOON EST on March 23, 2011. You do not have to register with YouNews® to vote in the contest.
The FOUR finalists receiving the most votes nationally will each receive the prizes described in Section 8.
8. What is/are the prizes?
“Weather Kid” Prize Pack valued at $200, which includes:
- Kid’s Weather Station,
- $100 Dick’s Sporting Goods Gift Card,
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs book and DVD set.
PLEASE NOTE: Broadcast Interactive will buy the prize. Sony Pictures Animation, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Citiwell International and Simon & Schuster Publishers are not official prize providers and are not legally associated with the Contest in any way.
If for any reason the advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. We will only award one (1) prize per person. If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
1) You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services; and
2) You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
3) If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
9. How will you know if you’re a winner?
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the email address you submitted as part of your YouNews® registration.
If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner selected by the YouNews® editors.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter the Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability/publicity release and/or a W-9 form. We may tell you to sign and return the documents to us by a deadline. If you do not sign and return these forms to us by the deadline, we may disqualify you and the YouNews editors may select an alternate winner.
10. What additional conditions are you agreeing to by entering this Contest?
By entering this Contest you agree and/or understand:
1) To abide by these Contest rules; and
2) That our decisions (and the decisions of our YouNews® editors) will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
3) That we may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law; and
4) This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Wisconsin, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in Dane County, Wisconsin for any disputes arising out of this Contest; and
5) To the maximum extent allowed by law, you hereby release and hold harmless Broadcast Interactive Media, LLC, and any other sponsor, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won.
11. What if something unexpected happens and the Contest can’t run as planned?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
Computer “hacking” is a crime. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
12. How can you find out who won?
Winners will be announced online on the description page of the Contest. Any site visitor, whether or not registered for YouNews, may see the winners on that page. YouNews® editors reserve the right to remove the announcement after a reasonable period of time.
13. What about my local TV station?
To claim your prize, we may require you to visit your local TV station, radio station or newspaper to pick up the prize. That local TV station, radio station or newspaper may have added to this national contest additional local contest sponsors, local contest prizes or local contest rules. That local TV station, radio station or newspaper is responsible for those additional sponsors, prizes or rules.
If such additional terms apply to you, you will see those terms below. In the event of any conflict between those additional local rules and these national rules, the national rules shall supersede.